How to update my theme?
There are 3 methods to update WordPress themes to newer version.
The most important aspect of updating is that one should always have made a backup of their site and database prior to performing an update. Updates are very easy to do, but because we are dealing with the internet, and also several different programs attempting to work together, sometimes updates will fail, and "bad things" can happen to your existing site. If you have made a backup, then the problems may be reversible.
Many often worry that upgrading by ftp overwrite will cause one to lose the existing content they have input into their site. This is not the case. Your content, formatting and images you have uploaded are not effected.
If you have made any custom modifications to your php files prent theme - for example you have have hardcoded changes to a file, you will lose those modifications in the update following method. You should definitely save each php or css file you have "hard" modified (only in parent theme), so that you can reinstall them after the global program update.
Update Using FTP
- Login into your Themeforest account and go to downloads (Dashboad > downloads)
- Download the theme into your computer
- Install an FTP program (Filezilla is free)
- Retrieve your FTP login information from your hosting admin panel and login into your hosting via FTP
- Unzip the item main file
- Locate theme.zip (eg : zoner-theme.zip) and unzip it. make sure your unzipping software do not create extra directory with the same name nested into each other.
- drag and drop theme main folder into your FTP program with the destination : "YOUR_HOSTING_ROOT/YOUR_SUBDIRECTORY/wp-content/themes/"
- FTP program will give a warning that there is an existing with the same directory name, choose replace all.
- It will take varying from 15 to 30 minutes to replace all files. once you done login into your wordpress dashboard and go to masterkey settings. on the header (beside masterkey logo) the theme version will be changed to the latest version. this is the indication that your theme is updated. We recommend method one which only takes less than one minute.
Auto Update using Envato WordPress Toolkit
- Go to themeforest.net > Settings > API Keys.
- Generate an API key and store it in a text file as you will need it shortly.
- Now login into your WordPress admin dashboard
- From left sidebar click on Envato Toolkit (If you have not installed it yet read install theme section of this documentation)
- As shown in below screenshot type your username and fill the API key that you just retrieved from themeforest.net
- Save Settings.
- Once the page refreshed you should see the list of themes you have purchased.
- If there is a new version available you will get the "update Automatically link (see below screenshot)
- Once clicked, theme will be updated to the most recent version.
Update Through Wordpress Admin Panel
- For this method you should first install Theme Upgrades Tool
- Unzip the file you just downloaded from ThemeForest and locate the WordPress Theme. (eg. zoner-theme.zip)
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard.
- Click on “Appearance > Themes”.
- Still within the Themes section, on header tab, click on “Install Themes”, then on header second tab click "Upload".
- Click “Browse…” and locate the new theme file. (eg. zoner-theme.zip)
- In the “Upgrade existing theme?” option choose “Yes” from the dropdown list.
- Click “Install Now”.
- Click “Activate”.